How Electronics Work

Stereo versus Mono

 Some audio equipment like guitars, some Tv's front headphone plug use mono output. That means the signal is meant to drive either left or right speakes of a stereo system. Connecting the mono output to a stereo device requires an adapter to split one signal to two identical signals. The adapter is called a Y-Adapter or Splitter. One might refer to splitters as "mono to stereo" adapter. In that case it does not look like a Y, but it performs the same function.

Pictures above show the idea. Using these adapters allow a mono signal to appear at both right and left speakers. This is not a true stereo audio as both are exactly identical. However it does the job of balancing the audio from both speakers.

Local electronic stores carry these devices. I came across Audio Gear online at .